Leela Foley is the food-lover behind LexEats, a Lexington-based food blog where she shares recipes, restaurant recommendations and local events. Through LexEats she hopes to bring a bit of brightness to her readers whether that means sharing a bible verse on Sunday or creating a fun recipe for people to try. During the day, you can find her working for Bluegrass Hospitality Group where she does marketing for 6 restaurant brands. In celebration of the Fourth of July, Leela is sharing a festive (and delicious) treat that’s perfect for the patriotic holiday!
Hi there! My name is Leela and I’m so excited to share a little Fourth of July recipe with y’all! Who else loves fruit pizza? My friends and I used to make it all the time in high school and college. You take sugar cookie dough and spread it out on a pizza pan to create one huge cookie and then frost it with cream cheese icing and top with fruit! It’s delish and a fun summer dessert. I wanted to fancy it up a bit so I created a gluten-free version using an almond meal crust and mascarpone cream cheese frosting. This recipe comes together pretty easily and can be made ahead of time and stored in the fridge before serving. You can get creative with the fruits – I used strawberries and blueberries but any berry works. I also love adding kiwi! You can also top with silvered almonds to complement the crust. I love this recipe for summer entertaining because no only is it tasty, but it’s also bright and colorful! You can even make a flag design out of your fruit for the Fourth of July!
Check out the recipe below.
- 1 cup of almond meal
- 1/4 cup of sugar
- 3 tbsp of melted butter
- 1/2 tsp of cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp of salt
- 8 oz. of mascarpone cheese
- 4 oz. of Neufchatel or cream cheese of choice
- 1 cup of powdered sugar
- 1 tsp of almond extract
- Strawberries + blueberries (or fruit toppings of choice!)
- Preheat the over to 350 degrees
- Combine the almond meal, sugar, melted butter, cinnamon and salt in a mixing bowl. Whisk until well combined and forming a crumbly mixture.
- Add mixture to a 9 in. greased tart pan. Using your fingers, press down until the crust covers the entire tart pan in an even layer.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes until the edges start to brown.
- Make your frosting! Add mascarpone, cream cheese and almond extract to a stand mixer with the paddle attachment (you can also use a hand mixer). Mix briefly to combine.
- Add powdered sugar 1/2 a cup at a time while mixing on medium to high speed until fully combined.
- After crust has completely cooked, frost evenly with mascarpone mixture.
- Top with desire fruit. Feel free to have fun & make pretty designs!
- Serve immediately or store in the fridge until you’re ready to enjoy.
Feel free to drop her any comments/questions below!